0° C

CA   |   ES   |   EN
To top
Study In Spain Header

BaRCELONA university campus

Study in Barcelona and live it.

Here you will find a useful guide to Barcelona as a university destination and you will discover how Academia Guiu can help you access the Spanish university and feel at home in Barcelona.

Do you want to access university in Spain?

If you have completed the baccalaureate abroad or an international baccalaureate and want to prepare for the entry exams to the Spanish university, at Academia Guiu we will help you.
At the academy we have specific courses to help foreign students or students with an international baccalaureate to prepare for the Spanish EBAU.

acceder a la universidad

Find out what Spanish universities can offer you and get to know Barcelona as a study destination.

guiu ele

if you have completed the
baccalaureate abroad

y necesitas mejorar tu español, en Academia Guiu te podemos ayudar con nuestros cursos de español.

ELE basic ELE advanced

guiu ib

if you have completed an
international baccalaureate

and you have doubts about the admission process of international students via high school, here you have more information.

see admission process

Reasons to study in Barcelona and Spain

Barcelona is an international, cosmopolitan, Mediterranean city, very safe, familiar and welcoming, in which 1,600,000 people live and where 7 million tourists visit each year. The International Airport is the one with the highest air traffic in southern Europe, and has direct flights to most cities.

In Spain you will learn a universal language and you will imbibe a rich and diverse culture in which you will feel very welcome as it is an open country with a multicultural society that offers a high quality of life and great public and private university education opportunities at very competitive costs.

Enjoy the lifestyle, mild climate, healthy and worldwide recognized diet. Discover multiple leisure options and a rich cultural offer, theaters, museums, exhibitions, fairs and endless activities. Barcelona has an extensive network of metropolitan bus, metro, train and rail transport, as well as bicycles, electric motorcycles and sporadic cars.

The World's Best Cities 2018, has rated Barcelona as one of the 10 best cities to live and the 4th to work.


Reasons to choose Barcelona and Spain

Barcelona is a destination that combines a great quality of life and an excellent educational quality.

Razone 1
safe and

You will feel welcomed and like you were at home.

Razone 2
for its climate and

Besides studying, enjoy the weather, the beach and the food.

Razone 3
to improve

Apart from our ELE courses you will improve your Spanish with daily use.

Razone 4

And for its excellent means of public transport when you are here.

Razone 5
international reference

Top-level research centers and science parks.

Razone 6
quality and excellence

Universities of international reference.

Razone 7
in Barcelona

Both public and private.

Razone 8
in Barcelona

Great offer.

Razone 9
masters and

Great offer.

Barcelona university city

Barcelona has 26 universities of great prestige and international reference where you will feel at home thanks to the international student service offices. If the university that interests you is outside Catalonia, from Barcelona you can access any Spanish university.

The city hosts one of the largest university communities in southern Europe with more than 758 university degrees and more than 700 master and postgraduate programs, and is also an international reference in research and development with 15 science and technology parks.

International students


  • There are more than 70 universities in Spain (among which the 26 catalan universities can be found), more than 50 are public and the rest are private universities.
  • They are distributed throughout the country, but the largest and most important cities have the largest number of universities: Madrid and Barcelona.
  • All Spanish universities admit international students, in a wide variety of undergraduate and postgraduate studies.

Spanish universities

From Catalonia and having passed the entrance exams you will be able to access any Spanish university.

Click on the logos and visit them

universidades logo 1
universidades logo 2
universidades logo 3
universidades logo 4
universidades logo 5
universidades logo 6
universidades logo 7

Catalonia university campus

Catalonia has an internationally renowned quality and prestigious higher education system made up of 12 universities: seven public, four private and an online university.

The offer of studies is complemented by services such as libraries, teaching laboratories, reception services, languages, sports facilities, and job boards. The universities have international student service offices that resolve basic questions about their stay in Catalonia (immigration procedures, health information, leisure and sports activities, etc.).

It is a university system with a clear tendency towards internationalization that uses mainly Spanish, Catalan and English for teaching. The data speaks for itself: 250,000 students, 15,000 professors, 450 degree programs and 470 master's degrees (86 in English and 34 in collaboration with foreign universities).

Click on the logos and visit them

Main public catalan universities

universidades logo 2
universidades logo 2
universidades logo 3
universidades logo 4
universidades logo 5
universidades logo 6
universidades logo 7

Main private catalan universities

universidades logo 1
universidades logo 2
universidades logo 3
universidades logo 4

Online catalan university

universidades logo 5


Barcelona is one of the European cities with the highest concentration of business schools, two of which (Iese and Esade) are among the top 25 in the world. There are also specialized postgraduate platforms, such as the Barcelona Graduate School of Economics (BGSE) and the Institut Barcelona d'Estudis Internacionals (IBEI).

The Catalan education system is an international breference focused on excellence in teaching and research, and develops initiatives to reinforce these aspects. It has the capacity to generate expert talent and to attract talent from all over the world.

Research has an important weight, as recognized by various mentions of the Campus of International Excellence.


With 800 research groups, 25,000 researchers and 45,000 people involved in research and development, Catalan universities are well positioned in world rankings: Five among the 500 best in the world (UB, UAB, UPC, UPF and URV) and four among the Top 100 with less than 50 years of history (UAB, UPC, UPF and URV).

In Catalonia, science and technology parks have sprung up around some universities where work is being done to promote the transfer of knowledge and technology between the university, research and business world.

Requisitos para estudiar en España

Admission of international students through high school.

In order to gain admission to a degree program at a university in Spain, international students must:

- Obtain official recognition of your previous studies.

- Take EBAU/SELECTIVITY university entry exams).

Currently, from the LOMCE (Organic Law for the Improvement of Educational Quality), for students from educational systems other than Spanish, each Autonomous Community determines the minimum conditions of access, exams to pass, calculation of the admission note,…. to access university studies in said community.


Guiu Ambassadors

The Guiu ambassadors are students who have passed through the Guiu Academy and who have accessed the Spanish University. No one better than them to explain the experience of their studies in Barcelona and the preparation for access to the university at Academia Guiu.

Know their experience and decide to come. Enjoy Barcelona studying. We are waiting for you!

guiu amabassador 1 guiu amabassador 2 guiu amabassador 3 guiu amabassador 4

Meet the ambassadors

Academy services for international students

Come to Barcelona, enroll in one of our pathway courses for the university entry exam and forget about anything other than studying and living in Barcelona. Focus on preparing your selectivity and we assure you the pass.

We will take care of all the administrative formalities:

  • documents
  • certificates
  • pre-registration

and all those boring things. Some of these services may be included in some of our packs.

See packs


Tutorial record and first accompaniment of the minor to NIE procedures.


If you are under 18 years of age, you must have a legal guardian assigned to represent and respond to institutions and organizations on your behalf.

Search for accommodation.


We will help you find a residence so you do not have to worry about anything other than your studies.

Accompaniment of the student (census and NIE).


We will accompany and guide you throughout the process derived from obtaining a foreigner identification number + registration.

Airport pickup and travel on arrival day.


We will wait for you, accompany you and take you to your "residence" on the day of arrival in Barcelona.


4 Skills

TOEIC, Test of English for International Communication is the most widely used official English language certification in the world, recognized by more than 180 countries in the world and 9,000 educational organizations.
Evaluates: listening and reading comprehension (L&R) + oral and written expression (S&W).

Health insurance.


Mandatory health insurance in the renewal of the NIE/VISA.

Minimum duration: 1 year.

Enrollment Management UNEDassis.


When the time comes, we will advise you and manage the registration for the entry exams to the University.

* without exam fees (determined by the organization of the tests).

Baccalaureate Homologation Management.


We help you in the management of the homologation of your baccalaureate to obtain the equivalence with the Spanish baccalaureate.

*approval application fees included

University Pre-registration.


Resolution of doubts and management of the university pre-enrollment that will allow you to obtain a place in the desired university degree.

*includes 3 communities

title1 title1 title1 title1 title1 title1 title1 title1 title1 title1 title1 title1 title1 title2 title3 title4 title5 title6 title7 title8 title9 title10 title11 title12 title13 title14 title15

Practical aspects of visas for Spain to enjoy studying in Barcelona and at the academy.

If you do not find the answer to your question here, please contact us.

Según el "Freedom of Movement Act", si eres de un país que forma parte de la Unión Europea (UE) o del Área Económica Europea – lo que incluye los países de la EU más Islandia, Liechtenstein y Noruega – o Suecia, no necesitas un visado ni ningún tipo de permiso para visitar, vivir, trabajar o estudiar en España. Ciudadanos de la EU/EEA y de Suecia que vienen a vivir a España necesitarán registrarse con las autoridades para obtener un nº de identidad. Los nacionales de otros países no citados anteriormente necesitarán una VISA para vivir en España y en muchos casos un permiso de trabajo.
España es uno de los 26 países que conforman el área "Schengen": Austria, Bélgica, Rep. Checa, Dinamarca, Estonia, Finlandia, Francia, Alemania, Grecia, Hungría, Islandia, Italia, Letonia, Lituania, Luxemburgo, Malta, Países Bajos, Noruega, Polonia, Portugal, Eslovaquia, Eslovenia, Suecia y Suiza tienen una VISA común por tanto no existen controles fronterizos entre ellos. Existen tres tipos de visados que permiten la entrada a España: - Visado de tránsito aeroportuario. - Visado Schengen de corta duración. - Visado a largo plazo.
Este documento te permite ingresar en la zona de tránsito internacional en un aeropuerto Español. Pero no todos lo necesitan. Para más información o verificaciones puede consultar la lista en: . Deberá solicitar visado de tránsito a través de la Embajada o Consulado de España en su país de origen.
El visado de corta duración le permite permanecer, pero no trabajar en España hasta 90 días en un período de 180 días. Si tiene un visado Schengen emitido por otro estado Schengen, también puede viajar a España y quedarse en el país durante 90 días. Los ciudadanos de los EE.UU., Australia, Canadá y Nueva Zelanda no necesitan un visado de corta estancia para entrar en España, pero deberán solicitar un visado de residencia a largo plazo para permanecer más de tres meses. Para saber si necesita un visado Schengen, consulte nuestra . Debe completar un formulario de solicitud que puede descargar y solicitarla a través de la Embajada o Consulado Español en su país de origen. Puede renovar su visado de corta duración en la Oficina de Extranjería o en la Comisaría de Policía de su localidad siempre que permanezca en España menos de 90 días. No puede venir a España con un Visado de corta duración como turista y cambiar su estado a empleado, estudiante o residente Español. Debe regresar a su país de origen y solicitar una nueva desde allí. Encuentre los datos de en su país para presentar la solicitud.
A menos que sea ciudadano de la , necesitará un visado nacional a largo plazo si tiene la intención de vivir, trabajar, estudiar o realizar investigaciones en España durante más de tres meses. Dependerá de su propósito de estancia. Tal como detallamos a continuación.
Existen varios tipos de permisos de residencia y trabajo según el propósito de estancia, incluyen: - Visa combinada de residencia y trabajo, le permite vivir y trabajar en España. - Visado de Estudiante, para la duración de un curso educativo o de capacitación. - Visado de residencia, para reunificación familiar o jubilación.
Hay diferentes tipos de visados de trabajo en España, así como exenciones, dependiendo de su situación laboral en España. Los requisitos para la obtención de este visado los puede encontrar en nuestra completa guía. No podrá solicitar su propio visado de trabajo en España- la Ley de Inmigración Española dicta que son los empleadores los que deben presentar la solicitud en su nombre. Los permisos/visados de trabajo son emitidos por la en España.
España es muy popular entre los estudiantes extranjeros, de hecho, una encuesta realizada en 2018 por afirmó que España era el destino número uno en Europa para los estudiantes que querían estudiar en el extranjero. Si desea estudiar/realizar una investigación o aprendizaje en España, primero debe encontrar un curso que le acepte, solo entonces podrá solicitar una visa.
Tanto la ciudadanía Española como el visado de residencia español (permanente) le autorizan a vivir en España, pero hay diferencias entre los dos. El visado de residencia requiere dejar su nacionalidad y pasaporte de origen para ser ciudadano español.
Después de un año viviendo en España de manera legal y una vez recibida la confirmación de que se quedará un año más, puede pedir un visado para ser reagrupado con los miembros de su familia (por ejemplo pareja y dependientes como menores o padres de más de 65 años de edad). Si tiene un permiso de residencia de larga duración de otro país de la UE (una carta azul europea), puede solicitar este visado cuando lo necesite. Los estudiantes pueden solicitar la reunificación familiar mientras estudian en España. Los permisos de residencia para familiares normalmente tienen una duración igual a la del permiso de residencia del alumno, también permite a las personas que tienen más de 18 años trabajar en España sin permiso de trabajo. Si quiere un , necesitara solicitar una reunificación familiar. Si aún no está en España, puede solicitar el visado a través de la donde le explicaran los requisitos del visado para pareja. Si ya está en España, tendrá que ir a la oficina de extranjería local/más cercana y llevar los documentos. Para más información, lea nuestra guía sobre .
Después de 5 años ininterrumpidos viviendo en España, puede solicitar un permiso de residencia permanente o de larga estancia. Si ya tiene una tarjeta azul de otro país de la UE, y ha vivido en otro sitio de la UE por la misma duración, también tiene derecho de recibir la residencia de larga estancia. Esta autorización le permite quedarse en España indefinidamente, trabajando o no, bajo las mismas condiciones que los ciudadanos españoles. Puede pedir la nacionalidad española después de 10 años de residencia en España. O adquirirla a través del matrimonio o padres españoles incluso si nacieron fuera de España.
Dentro de los 30 días posteriores a su llegada a España, todos los ciudadanos de fuera de la UE-EEA o de Suecia que quieran quedarse más de tres meses deben solicitar una tarjeta de residencia (TIE) en la Oficina de Extranjería o en la policía de la provincia donde vive. Necesitará un pasaporte valido/documento de identidad, fotos tamaño pasaporte en color, y un formulario de solicitud completo. Además, necesitara un empadronamiento, ingresos bancarios, seguro médico y otros documentos relacionados con su situación, como contrato de trabajo, prueba de matrícula en la universidad o notas académicas. Este permiso de residencia temporal le permite quedarse en España entre 90 días y cinco años, y puede ser renovado.
Todos los extranjeros, incluyendo los de UE/EEA/Suecia, deben tener un Número de Identificación de Extranjero, o NIE. Es obligatorio para cualquier transacción financiera, como abrir una cuenta bancaria, recibir su salario, pagar impuestos, registrarse en los servicios sociales y carnet de conducir. Los ciudadanos de la UE recibirán un NIE cuando soliciten su certificado de registro; otros pueden solicitarlo una vez obtenido su permiso de residencia, de la Oficina de Extranjería. Es posible solicitar el NIE a través del consulado español en su país de origen (aunque le llevará unos meses obtenerlo mediante esta vía), si sus intenciones son vivir o abrirse una cuenta bancaria en España. Si tiene pensado vivir en España debe registrarse con la Autoridad Legal de su localidad de residencia.
Debe obtener un Certificado de Empadronamiento registrándose en el censo llamado Padrón en el Ayuntamiento de su localidad.
Para que los documentos extranjeros sean válidos en España, deben estar traducidos al español y legalizados (certificados como auténticos) o llevar el sello de Apostilla. Las traducciones deben ser realizadas por traductores certificados por el Ministerio de Asuntos Exteriores y de Cooperación en España o por medio de la en su país de origen.
We use our own and third-party cookies to improve our services and show you advertising related to your preferences by analyzing your browsing habits. If you go on surfing, we will consider you accepting its use. You can change the configuration or get more information in our "Cookie policy".